Using the STER-model (selflessness, timelessness, effortlessness, and richness), our R&D team has been able to research the means it takes for a person to reach a flow state. This model describes the characteristics of flow state by the following:
- Selflessness refers to the moments when a sense of self and inner criticism disappears. Without the constant self-monitoring, people can enter a state of clarity and total absorption of the activity at hand.
- Timelessness is the sense that time switches off, where hours feel like minutes. An individual can then be freed from the rather confining concept of time and instead, take in the moment.
- When the activity seems easy as if it is fueled by intrinsic motivation, effortlessness is achieved and the flow state activates pleasurable neurotransmitters.
- Finally, richness is when the activity becomes a rich experience. The brain is processing more information faster with a deeper understanding resulting in original ideas being produced.
- These concepts can be simplified into three components: absorption, enjoyment, and intrinsic motivation. When these elements come together, the pleasurable flow work state is realized.
“Flow is a state that challenges us and it requires effort,” explains Framery’s Concept Designer Johanna Horstia. “Getting to a “flow” state of mind requires skill and determination.”
Helping employees achieve flow is essential for businesses to succeed. The flow state maximizes the fundamental elements of success for business which are performance, learning, creativity and motivation. Increasing chances to flow state can provide solutions to today’s problems by lowering stress levels, improving cognitive ergonomics, and enhancing innovation.
It’s through research like this that we at Framery are able to provide the tools necessary to support workers’ evolving needs and build products to assist them. Like we have done with enhancing our Framery Q model to create Framery Q Flow. As the name suggests, Q Flow has been designed to meet the needs of today and tomorrow and assists people in achieving that flow-state-of-mind work. As a single-person workstation that unleashes your inner workflow, Q Flow is designed to support flexible work as well as heads-down types of tasks. In addition to all of the features included in the original Framery Q office pod, the Flow model also has a height-adjustable electric table that allows users to change their work position in a matter of seconds. Users can transition from working from their seat to a standing position without throwing off their flow or distributing those around them.
More on this state of mind – here.